Current Ice Conditions: Pilots were unable to fly today. As you venture out into newly opened water, remember the gasp reflex. No matter how well you can swim, please WEAR your lifejacket!
- Basswood: Jackfish, Hoist, Wind, and Back Bays all appear open. Bailey Bay is not open but likely to change in the next few days. Moose Chain to Prairie all open.
- Burntside: east and west arms open, ice in channel and some in North Arm.
- White Iron, Bear Island, and Shagawa are open.
- Snowbank and east of Alice Lake are mostly still full of ice. Shallower bays in Snowbank are opening.
- Rivers are mostly open and lakes (except for a few large ones) are mostly open from Snowbank going west.
- Up the Echo Trail: Jeanette L. and Big L. are open.
- Outside the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, Crescent, Fourmile, Toohey, and Lichen are open.
- Mid- Trail is still socked with ice, like West Bearskin still pretty iced over --pretty slim chance of it opening by the weekend.
- Gunflint Lake the on the west side of the Gunflint trail its open up to Magnetic Lake but there is still ice on the shores.
- Round Lake Open
- Missing Link Lake open
- Gillis open
- The channel into Sag open – but can see ice beyond
- Seagull is open
- Ham Lake open- Cross River and Cross Lake- open
- Probably nothing open yet in the Vento area (Daniels, Duncan)
- Kawishiwi and Isabella Lakes are open. Parent Lake is probably open.
This report will be linked to the ice conditions alert on the Superior National Forest website: