PAGAMI CREEK FIRE
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Phone: 218-365-3177, 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. E-mail: PIOPagamiFire@gmail.com
TODAY’S MESSAGE: The Pagami Creek Fire is now 59% contained, and the size remains the same at 93,459 acres. On September 26, the Superior National Forest reduced the closure area surrounding the fire. Some areas to the north and west of the fire have been opened. Drier weather today should produce slightly more active fire and more smoke. Fire line rehabilitation measures are being taken to return the landscape to natural conditions by spreading woody vegetation back over dozed fire lines in areas where the fire is cold. This action will help to reduce soil erosion. New crews have been dispatched to spike camps to replace departing crews.
· An excavator is being used for rehabilitation work outside the Wilderness Area.
· Spot fire detection, line construction and mop up continue along the fire perimeter.
· Air support continues to provide water drops on hot spots.
UPCOMING EVENTS: A community meeting will be held today at the Isabella Community Center at 11 a.m.
WEATHER AND FIRE BEHAVIOR: Sunny, warmer and drier today with light winds. Temperatures reaching the lower 70’s with humidity ranging between 35 and 40%. This afternoon, winds will switch from NE to N at 5 to 8 mph. Wednesday, as a front approaches, expect to see warmer temperatures, lower humidity and higher wind speeds. A chance of showers Wednesday night into Thursday will amount to less than a 1/10 of an inch of rain.
AREA/ROAD CLOSURES: Some Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness entry points remain closed for day and overnight use. To see the updated closure, please visit www.fs.usda.gov/goto/superior/home.
Highway 1 is open. The following roads, trails, and areas are closed: FR 381 north from the intersection with FR 377 (Tomahawk Rd.) and all areas north and east of FR 381; FR 373 (Northwest Rd.) south from FR 377 to the intersection of FR 369 and all areas north and east of this route; FR 369 east from the intersection of FR 369 and FR 373 to the intersection of FR 369 and Lake County Rd. 7 (Cramer Rd./Windy Lake Rd.) including all areas north of this route; all areas to the west of Lake County Rd. 7 (CR 7) between the intersections with FR 369 and FR 354 (CR 7 is open for travel); and FR 354 north from the intersection with Lake CR 7 and all areas west of FR 354.
DETECTED: August 18, 2011 CAUSE: Lightning ACREAGE: 93,459
LOCATION: The fire started approximately 13 miles east of Ely.
RESOURCES: There are 789 people assigned to the incident. Resources consist of 10 hotshot (Type 1) crews, 10 Type 2 crews, 9 engines, four camp crews and other personnel. Air operations will continue to support the fire suppression efforts as needed.
Area closures and burning restrictions: www.fs.usda.gov/goto/superior/home
Smoke conditions: www.pca.state.mn.us
Pagami Creek Fire
ORDER NO. R909-1 1 -18
ORDER OF THE FOREST SUPERVISOR
EMERGENCY PUBLIC SAFETY CLOSURE
AFFECTING PORTIONS OF
THE SUPERIOR NATIONAL FOREST
Under authority of the Act of Congress of June 4, 1897, 16 USC 551, and pursuant to the Secretary of Agriculture’s Regulations set forth at 36 CFR 261.50(a) and 261.50(b), and 261.50(f), the following acts or omissions are prohibited on portions of Superior National Forest System lands, roads and trails, Lake County, Cook County. Minnesota. These restrictions go into effective 12:01 am on Tuesday September 27, 2011.
1. BWCAW CAMPSITE CLOSURE: It is prohibited to be upon BWCAW campsites and areas which are posted closed and included in the closure area. 36 CFR 261.53(e) Special Closures, Public Health or Safety.
2. AFFECTED AREA: The Following campsites/areas/entry points of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness are closed.
Wilderness Travel Zones
(SEE Appendix A Map of Wilderness Travel Zones)
#252 South half closed (Gabbro Lake Open)
Hiking Trail Entry Points
#56 Kekekabic East
#74 Kekekabic West /Snowbank
#86 Pow Wow Hiking Trail
AFFECTED AREA: The area and roads described below are included in this closure.
· FR381 north from the intersection with FR 377 (Tomahawk Road) and all areas north and east of FR 381.
· FR373 (Northwest Road) south from the FR 377 (Tomahawk Road) to the intersection of FR369 and all areas north and east of this route.
· FR369 east from the intersection of FR369 and FR373 to the intersection of FR369 and CR7, including all areas north of this route.
· All areas to the west of CR7 between the intersections with FR369 and FR354 (CR7 open for travel).
· FR354 north from the intersection with CR7, and all areas west of FR354.
3. Closure signs will be used at normal points of access to delineate the closure area. See Pagami Creek Closure Area map, dated September 26, 2011.
THESE EMERGENCY RESTRICTIONS ARE NECESSARY FOR THE PUBLIC’S HEALTH AND SAFETY DUE TO WILDLAND FIRES IN THE VICINITY OF THE AFFECTED LANDS, WATERS, TRAILS, PORTAGES, CANOE ROUTES, AND DEVELOPED RECREATION SITES. THESE RESTRICTIONS WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT AS LONG AS THEY ARE POSTED ON-SITE AND UNTIL RESCINDED.
THESE RESTRICTIONS ARE IN ADDITION TO THE GENERAL PROHIBITIONS FOUND AT 36 CFR 261, SUBPART A, THE GENERAL OCCUPANCY AND USE RESTRICTIONS FOUND IN FOREST ORDER NOS. R909-06-01, R909-05-02, R909-04-06. THIS FOREST ORDER RECINDS AND SUPERCEDS ORDER NO. R909-11-17.
Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this order:
1. Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.
2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of any organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.
3. Persons engaged in a business, trade or occupation in the area, when authorized and when accompanied by a Forest Officer or official member of the Incident Command Team.
Dated this 26th day of September , 2011 Duluth, Minnesota.
/s/ James W. Sanders
James W. Sanders
Superior National Forest
Violations of these prohibitions are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000.00 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both. [16 USC § 551, 18 USC §§ 3559 and 3571.]
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Boundary Waters Fire Update Pagami Creek Fire September 27th, 2011
I'm the Marketing Director, Catalog Director and Webmaster at Piragis Northwoods Company and the Boundary Waters Catalog here in Ely, Minnesota on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. We specialize in lightweight canoes and camping gear and have been serving our community and the worldwide community of paddlers since 1979. We know our stuff because we get out there and paddle. We are passionate about canoeing and wilderness.