Tuesday PM, May 14, 2013
A strong crosswind grounded the fire patrol this afternoon. New information from observers:
• Disappointment is open.
• Parent Lake (near Snowbank) is iced. Snowbank is still iced in.
• Rice and August Lake are open.
• Vermilion Lake was iced in yesterday.
• Big Lake was reported open yesterday, but southerly winds pushed the ice pack to the northern half today.
• The North Arm of Burntside is still frozen. The East Arm is full of dark ice.
This information is from Monday’s flight:
• Moose Lake: southwestern third is open; northeastern two thirds frozen but dark ice.
• S. Kawishiwi R. and Gabbro Lake are mostly open.
• Turtle is open.
• There is ice in the middle of Bald Eagle.
• Clearwater and Pietro are frozen (thin ice) but Gull is open.
• Quadga and Bog are open.
• Isabella and Perent still have a lot of ice in the middle.
• Polly and Phoebe are open.
• Alton and Sawbill are still frozen.
• Generally the smaller lakes in the south east are open or mostly open. Larger lakes are still frozen.
• Alice is frozen.
• Insula south of The Rock is open, the northern portion is frozen.
• Lake 3 is mostly open.
• Knife Lake including the South Arm is mostly ice.
• Saganaga is still frozen.
FS Pilot report—this information is from a flight late Sunday afternoon.
• Jackfish- 40% open
• Open: Pipestone, Stuart, Agnes, Nina Moose, Ramshead, Upper and Lower Pauness
• Frozen: Oyster
• Bald Eagle- 60% open
• Gabbro- 75% open
• Open: Gull, Turtle, Lakes 1 and 2
• Clearwater- frozen, but open around the edges.
Today’s safety message: Bears are awake and hungry. Keep a clean camp.
Winds are drying fine fuels quickly. Be careful with fire