Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Ice out Conditions THE COLD HARD FACTS May 8th 2013
Yikes, the cold hard facts...
Superior National Forest Ice Update
May 8, 2013
Current Ice Conditions:
From FS pilots: They flew a west patrol yesterday from Jackfish west and south to Birch and Vermilion Lakes.
· Everything was still frozen. Many lakes were still frozen right to the shoreline.
· Fall Lake had the most open water around the edges but was still 80% ice covered.
· Birch, Vermilion, Burntside, western Basswood including Pipestone and Jackfish Bays, S. Farm, and White Iron were frozen.
· There was a little open water near the bridge on the northern end of White Iron and a little open water on the southeast end.
Reports from others:
· Rivers are running hard but the lakes are not open.
· Some people are venturing out over the ice (very dangerous!) only to find themselves confronting more ice.
· A few smaller lakes are very black and may open with rain or wind.
· Sawbill Lake had 23 inches of ice on it yesterday.
I'm the Marketing Director, Catalog Director and Webmaster at Piragis Northwoods Company and the Boundary Waters Catalog here in Ely, Minnesota on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. We specialize in lightweight canoes and camping gear and have been serving our community and the worldwide community of paddlers since 1979. We know our stuff because we get out there and paddle. We are passionate about canoeing and wilderness.