Planning any kind of vacation comes with a lot of questions. What kind of weather should I be prepared for? How do I get to my destination? Where is a good place to stay—to eat? What are some sights I need to see? Planning a backcountry trip, specifically a Boundary Waters trip, is no different—it comes with its own tome of information to uncover. So, where to start?
Every Boundary Waters trip begins the same way. It all starts with the desire to rejuvenate and refresh ourselves—the desire to remove ourselves from our daily routines. For some, this might be a fishing trip, others might just want to get back to the basics, some might be explorers, or naturalists, or maybe some are looking for quality bonding time with friends and family in a beautiful, natural wilderness area. No matter how you choose to experience the BWCA, it begins with securing a permit.
The BWCA has many different entry points. Each entry point allows a limited number of groups to enter at that location each day. To enter the BWCA, your group needs to obtain a permit that specifies the location and date that you will be entering the wilderness. Choosing an entry point can seem daunting. There are so many locations, how do I choose one? How are the entries different? Which one will be best for my group? This is a good time to call us. We can help you sort through all the details and find the route that best fits your crew. Here are some questions that we will ask you to consider. (Don’t worry if you can’t answer all these questions. We are here to help you. These are just some items to consider when planning your trip.)
· What are the dates of your trip? What time of year were you thinking?
· What are your goals for the trip?
· How important is fishing?
· Do you want to travel every day?
· What is the group’s experience level?
· How do you feel about portaging?
· How many different campsites were you thinking?
· How hard are you willing to work? Do you want a relaxing trip?
· Is there anything in particular you want to see (pictographs, waterfalls, etc.)?
· How many days is your trip?
· Are there any kids with you?