Monday, May 24, 2010

Get the Lead Out! Stock your tackle box with Non-Toxic Lead-Free Jigs and Splitshot

Lead is a toxic metal that, in sufficient quantities, has adverse effects on the nervous and reproductive systems of mammals and birds. Found in most fishing jigs and sinkers, this metal is poisoning wildlife such as loons and eagles.

But there is hope. There are alternatives to traditional lead tackle. Anglers can now use sinkers and jigs made from non-poisonous materials such as tin, bismuth, steel, and tungsten-nickel alloy — and they can find them at established sporting goods retailers and on the Internet.

Non-lead fishing tackle is not a novelty product. Ask for it at retailers and shops.  Here at Piragis Northwoods Company years ago we made a commitment to stock lead-free jigs and splitshot exclusively.  We want to protect our beautiful Loons and Eagles!

Hook, line and sinker:
When lead fishing sinkers are lost through broken line or other means, birds can inadvertently eat them. Water birds like loons and swans often swallow lead when they scoop up pebbles from the bottom of a lake or river to help grind their food. Eagles ingest lead by eating fish which have themselves swallowed sinkers.

The dangers of lead poisoning:
A bird with lead poisoning will have physical and behavioral changes, including loss of balance, gasping, tremors, and impaired ability to fly. The weakened bird is more vulnerable to predators, or it may have trouble feeding, mating, nesting, and caring for its young. It becomes emaciated and often dies within two to three weeks after eating the lead.

Check out this document:

and discover more ways you can help on the water at

No comments: